Starting a blog in 2021 does not automatically mean that you will earn money from your blog in 2021. While you can generate some income from a blog within a few months, most blogs take about 24 months before they see enough organic traffic to earn a decent passive income. Getting your blog to that point takes patience and dedication but the payoff can be more than worth this effort. Some of the highest paid bloggers out there are earning between $100K-$200K+ from their blog every month.
10 Ways to make money online with a blog
When it comes to reaching your income goals, you can use this concise but definitive list of ways to make money online with a blog. Experiment with all or use a combination of a few different monetisation methods to find what works best for you and your blogging niche.
- Ads – one of the easiest ways to monetise your blog. Once your pageviews are up you can consider joining ad networks like Mediavine and AdThrive who have a reputation for much higher earnings per 1000 pageviews.
- Affiliates – while the Amazon affiliate program is the first one most bloggers think of, it could prove to be more profitable to look at other affiliate programs within your niche that offer higher commission rates.
- Sponsored Content – this is when a brand pays you to create content around their brand. This could be a product or restaurant review for example.
- Consulting/Coaching – if you have expertise within your niche then this could be quite profitable. You can usually charge a higher hourly rate for consulting or coaching than you can for freelancing services.
- Freelancing – if you don’t yet feel that you’re at the level where you can offer consulting or coaching services you can always start by offering freelancing services. This can be within your niche or general services such as blog writing/editing or virtual assistant services.
- Speaking Engagements – many in-person and virtual events will pay to have speakers cover various topics within their niche. You can list this service on your “Hire Me” page or you can reach directly to companies and event organisers.
- Selling Info Products – this include ebooks, webinars and online courses. A great option for future passive income generation.
- Selling Digital Products – you can also create and sell other digital products like printable art, digital planners, spreadsheets, templates and workbooks.
- Selling Physical Products – print on demand service providers make this option a lot easier than it was in the past. They take care of manufacturing and shipping for you.
- Membership program – this will require a lot of maintenance but can be a very reliable monthly revenue for your brand. If you hire someone to handle the content creation, engagement and monthly maintenance then this could form part of your passive income in the future.
Fastest Way To Make Money Blogging
The fastest way to start earning a full-time income from blogging is to become a freelance blogger. If you pursue this aggressively then you can expect to be earning $1000-$2000 per month within the first three months of starting your freelance blogging career from scratch. This side hustle can provide you with a steady income while you grow and monetise your blog without any financial pressure.
Check out this quick step freelancing guide for bloggers.
How quickly can a blog make money?
If you are solely relying on organic traffic sources and ad revenue then you can expect to wait 8-12 months before you see an income from your blog. However, new bloggers can make money from their blogs right from month one if they are willing to put in the time and effort. Essentially, you need great content and a steady influx of traffic to make a blog profitable. If you work hard and are strategic in your approach then you can expect to earn up to $250 per month during the first few months of blogging. This is largely dependent on:
- How much (good) content is published on the blog
- How you choose to monetise the blog
- How much time you put into driving traffic to your blog
- How well you do your SEO research and implementation
If you’re interested in seeing just how much a new blogger can expect to earn from their blog then click through to see real income reports from brand new blogs here.
How do beginner bloggers make money?
A new blogger will most likely find that the majority of their revenue comes from sponsored posts, sales of digital products and coaching, freelancing or consulting services. While ad and affiliate income will be quite slow in the beginning, this will steadily start to increase as blog traffic grows.
You can find out more about how new bloggers monetise their blog here.